The fundamental challenge was a nationwide search for a brick masonry material compatible with the character of ashlar granite of an original 1926 school.
The building is an impressive castellated Gothic structure on a rocky hillside. Not only did the curriculum of the three-story, almost 600 foot long structure radically change over seventy years, but its center core facilities for science, music, and physical education were conspicuously undersized. Fourteen classrooms also needed to be added. The client directed that no new construction could be added on the street side. They had added a masonry wing in the 1980’s and had been dissatisfied with the outcome. Its back façade, a honey-colored brick, was also not successful.
In addition, the particular granite used in 1926 came from a quarry now closed. A stone match would have had to be assembled in pieces from different quarries and blended.
The project received two design awards, one for masonry.VIEW PDF »