New kindergarten, first grade and library additions add instructional spaces to this existing school, originally built in the 1930’s. The school is situated in the Historic District of Pound Ridge. The surrounding hamlet comprises over 45 contributing buildings which date from 1758 to 1840.
A new main entrance has also been created within the original structure. The new library octagon anchors the “historic” side of the school and is a central element to all of the instructional spaces. The new kindergartens and enhanced first grades are “ell-shaped” with activity corners and well-proportioned child-scaled windows in the classroom doors.
The brick was selected to match the existing. The roof shape, slope and cornice and window details were also designed to recall the original character of the school.VIEW PDF »