The Daniel Webster School built in 1929, has a distinguished history in elementary education. Its innovative program had outgrown its elegant but aging physical plant. All of the exemplary resource programs of its magnet status (in art, in music, in science, in foreign languages, in computer) were being housed in subdivided classrooms within the existing plant.
The renovation and addition includes restoring 20 existing classrooms to full use, a new talented and gifted center, new lunchroom, kitchen, central plant and play area.
The new three story addition matches the existing building in height, scale, exterior style, and interior character. Though modern materials cannot strictly be equivalent to 1929 craftsmanship, the additional renovation are meant to form a seamless whole around a new student entrance and queuing area, a garden court and bus drop-off.
Daniel Webster received a regional AIA design award.VIEW PDF »