This is a two-story, ten classroom (five kindergartens and five first grades) addition to a public elementary school built in the 1920’s and expanded in the 1950’s. The addition also includes a new entrance to the entire school for parent drop-off. The concept includes a sky lit, two story commons for the younger children.
The design includes a clean, horizontal vocabulary of large window openings and brick frames with an end corner entry. The masonry façade includes a sand-colored brick to match the 1920’s portion, but also includes rock face brick details to accentuate the long horizontal scale of the addition (built against the exterior gym wall of the existing school). The interior solution highlights each individual classroom. Each has an entrance awning fascia; each classroom door has a geometric shape at younger children height for pre-reading identification. The double height commons has matching window shapes to the classrooms. Teachers are using the commons for reading classes and for artwork display.
The addition has received a design award.